A message from the ceo
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious & Most Merciful.
All praise is due to Allah (SWT), who says in the Glorious Qur’an (5:32), “Whoever saves a life, it is as if he (she) saved the whole humanity.” Peace and blessings on his Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), of whom Allah (SWT) says: “We have only sent you as a mercy to the whole of creation.” [Quran 21:32].
You may recall from my message last year that MAA completed the Strategic Plan of 2012-2015 successfully, scoring high in all the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). The year 2016 proved to be yet another solid year for MAA. We continued achieving exceptionally high on:
- Achieving Trustworthiness and Efficiency in everything we do;
- Achieving 100% Project Success rate;
- Maintaining 100% Compliance, Governance and Transparency;
- Doing the right thing… Right!
- Designing Sustainable ethical solutions for our beneficiaries
MAA has truly stepped up from being a traditional charity undertaking successful projects, to a truly Smart, Efficient and Trustworthy Non-Government Organisation (NGO) in Australia. In 2016, we continued to grow our life-changing, Impactful and Sustainable solutions. We adopted advanced ethical technologies and sciences to deliver sustainable ethical aid and development programmes. This is in addition to undertaking the essential core projects with great success, such as, Emergency Aid, Qurban and Ramadan Iftar (Food Aid) programmes. For us, Trustworthiness, Efficiency and Smartness are not just buzz words; rather, we embrace and implement the key ingredients of these characteristics in everything we do.
MAA has taken its trustworthiness and efficiency to the next level through strengthening, even more, our Risk Management Framework, which means it is even more safe to donate, support and partner with us.
MAA has also scored high in the Gender Equality and Child Protection policies and procedures. Yet another contributor that makes MAA International a truly world-class trustworthy organisation.
Another outstanding achievement for MAA in 2016 was attaining the full membership of the Australian Council For International Development (ACFID), the peak body for Australian Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) involved in international development and humanitarian aid.
In 2016, MAA also has attained the ACNC blue tick, the Registered Charity Tick, which gives reassurance to the public that the charity is transparent and accountable by highlighting its presence on the ACNC Charity Register.
Key highlights of our achievements in 2016:
- MAA programmes disbursements grew from $8.3M in 2015 to around $11.6M in 2016. This indicates a ten-fold growth since 2012, and an increase of 39% from last year. This proves MAA solid financial and operational stability
- Our effective admin ratio and fundraising ratio continue to be a world-class low of 6.3% and 2.5% respectively.
- Our support to sustainable programs grew from a value of around $2.5M in 2015 to $3.6M in 2016 - demonstrating our commitment to the vision of having an ethical sustainable planet.
- MAA programme outcomes have advanced from short-term projects to long-term, smart, sustainable & impactful programmes; having doubled these cases since 2012 and with an increase of 44% from 2015 to 2016.
In addition to all of the above, in 2016, we also continued building on our strength in breakthrough, first-of-its-kind Sustainable Development and Permaculture projects, taking the humanitarian aid sector to the next level. We are glad to see other NGOs following our footsteps, which is an indicator that we are definitely on the right track, walhamdulillah first and foremost.
Imam Hassan Elsetohy
CEO - MAA International